We are continuing are series in Acts. This passage follows on from the passages we’ve looked at in the last few weeks; we have seen the Holy Spirit come and also seen Peter tell lots of people all about what Jesus has done and how they should respond. We also saw that many people started to follow Jesus.
If you were describe church to someone who had never been before, what would you say to them?
Bible Passage (Acts 2:42-47)
42 They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. 43 Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. 44 All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45 They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. 46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47 praising God and enjoying the favour of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.
Re-tell the story
Why don’t you find some toy figures such as Lego, Duplo or Playmobil and use them to act out the bible passage for today? See if you can act out all the different things they saw and did together.
Can you find different people to be the apostles and also the people watching and listening to them? Maybe you can find some props to use to be bread and somewhere for them to meet together and maybe a table for them to eat round.
Questions to think about
Here are some questions to think about. The verses the answers are found in are given in brackets.
- What four things did the first believers devote themselves to? (42)
- What do you think the apostles were teaching people?
- What do you think “fellowship” means?
- Why would they break bread and pray together?
This verse shows what the first Christians did when they met together so it helps us to see what is important for us to do when we meet with our church family. It is important that just like these first believers we are taught from God’s word the Bible as it tells us all about who God is and all that Jesus has done for us, it helps us to know how best to follow Him.
This passage also shows us that it is important to have ‘fellowship’ with other believers, this means meeting with other believers, worshiping God together and learning from God’s word together. Breaking bread can mean sharing ‘communion’ or ‘The Lord’s Supper’ together, it can also mean sharing a meal together. Praying is also really important for us to do together, it is how we ask God for help in all we do, thank and praise him for all he has done for us and say sorry when we do wrong things.
- What other things did the apostles do? (43)
- What else does this passage tell us about how they helped each other out? (44-45)
- We see the great news that more and more people keep coming to know Jesus, who does this passage say is helping people to believe in Jesus? (47)
- Do you see some or all of these things happening in your church?
- What do you enjoy about meeting with your church family or other Christian believers?
- What will you most look forward to about meeting together as a church family when we can start meeting together again on Sundays?
At the heart of what the first believers did together was that they loved God for all he was and all he has done. Here is a song that helps us to praise God together, why don’t you join in with some actions (it’s a bit crazy!)
Craft – chain of believers
You will need:
- Pencil, colouring pencils/pens
- First cut your paper in half horizontally to give yourself two smaller strips of paper
- Next, with each smaller strip fold like a fan so that it is folded into about 6 sections (you can vary the number of sections depending how many people you want in your chain)
- Now draw an outline of a person on the first section, making sure the arms go right the way over to each edge of the section
- Fold all the sections back together and then cut around your outline of your person
- Once you have cut round your outline spread the paper back out again and you should now have a chain of people
- Now you can decorate your people however you like, maybe you could make them into your friends from church. You could also try and draw different outlines for your different strips of paper.
Father God, thank you that you give us other Christians to meet up with at church and that we can learn together from your word, worship and pray together. We are sad that we cannot do this properly at the moment and we pray that soon we would be able to meet together again. In Jesus name. Amen